[wplug] OT: "Enough" security

Michael Smith michael at smith-li.com
Mon May 16 07:49:38 EDT 2005

The HT Security notice that's been circulating recently brings to
mind...

I've been interested for some time in the personal responsibility
ramifications of I.T. security. Should a home user be held responsible
for attacks launched from his zombie computer based on the fact that he
didn't (know to) secure it properly?

What about power users? Should those of us with more computer literacy
than the average user be more responsible for securing our systems?

I think the answer to both of these questions is "yes," as a matter of
degrees. Given, however, that no connected computer can ever be 100%
secure, how much is enough? If my mom leaves windows automatic updater
running, and antispyware and antivirus active and UTD, is she then
fulfilling her responsibilities as a member of the Internet community?

What about me? Does the fact that I run a highly customized Gentoo box
leave me with more responsibility, or does keeping it up-to-date and
keeping my overall network secure fulfil that?

What are your thoughts? If anyone knows the legal ramifications, that'd
be interesting, and I'd also like to know your positions on the
morality of the matter.

Peace,
Michael A. Smith