[wplug] [Fwd: BSDCan 2005 - Hyper threading considered harmful]

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:24:40 EDT 2005

In general, I agree with the several last non-alarmist opinions.

> So unless you have a system where there is more then one user (that is
> not you) I would say don't worry at this time.

to be fair, this isn't exactly true.  Leaving this issue unresolved
means that any local account can obtain root.  This could mean that
once *any* account is compromised, there is yet another open avenue
for privilege escalation.  A fair dose of paranoia can be healthy, and
it's good to know what windows are left unlocked in one's house.

Cameron