[wplug] Serial killer

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu May 12 22:38:28 EDT 2005

My parents have been having trouble with their external serial modem.
It reportedly worked fine last Friday, but when they went to go online
Saturday morning, no go.  I've spent a bunch of time with them on the
phone (from a couple hundred miles away) trying to diagnose the trouble,
but have hit a brick wall.  They're using Mandrake 10.1 (kernel 2.6.8).

The modem simply won't respond to commands.  KPPP has a nifty "Query
Modem" function that sends a series of ATI commands to the modem.
This causes the modem lights to flicker, but no response comes back.
Trying an ATZ or any other AT command in a terminal likewise gets no
reply.  I suspected the modem could have died, but I had them put on
an old modem I had left at their house, and we get the same results.

My next suspicion was a serial port problem, but dmesg and a
setserial -a /dev/ttyS0 both show normal values.  Permissions on
/dev/ttyS0 are correct.  There's only one serial port, so I know
it's the right device.  It's properly enabled in the BIOS.

Anyone have any ideas for further diagnosis I can do remotely (with
non-computer literate people on the other end)?  Or alternatively, if
it turns out the serial port is bad, anyone have a PCI modem that
works under Linux they'd like to unload?  Thanks a bunch.