[wplug] Core 3

Weber, Larry A laweber at switch.com
Thu May 12 11:28:27 EDT 2005

Last weekend I did a clean installation of Fedora Core 3 on a Compaq Deskpro
and was impressed that almost all hardware was correctly detected and
installed.

Yesterday I tried to do an upgrade from Core 2 on exactly the same type of
PC with the same CD's.  This did not go well at all.  During the
installation the text screens would blink on and off.  Once X started the
display was normal but after completing the installation and rebooting, the
system video was a mess.  Just two vertical bars of noise.

I was not happy to loose my applications but I repeated the installation and
let anaconda repartition the drive as it saw fit.  The resulting system is
very sluggish and the video is still not working correctly.  Windows will
open, the title and toolbars are o.k. but the text area is transparent.  I
have to drag my mouse over the windows to see buttons, data entry boxes,
etc.  This occurs for nearly all applications but not every time.  Windows
will break up when dragged and I still occasionally get the vertical bars of
noise.  I changed my settings from 1024x768 to 800x600 and things improved a
bit but the system is still unusable.

Since the P.C. was working fine with Core 2, I do not think this is a
hardware issue.  Anyone else having this type of problem with Core 3?  Any
help would be appreciated.
-laweber