[wplug] Install session May 21st

Michael A. Smith michael at smith-li.com
Wed May 11 23:28:14 EDT 2005

Andy Johnson wrote:

>Hey, I'm a new guy on the list.
>
>What are the install sessions at CMU like?
>
>I am interested in getting Slackware Linux(I think).  I'm new to
>Linux.  I tinkered with Red Hat 9 before, but didn't get into the
>command line at all or really learn much of anything.  If there is a
>better distro for beginners, I'm interested.  My boss at work has been
>trying to set me up on gentoo, though I think it is a bit out of my
>league since I can't install it myself.

Why not? I had more trouble with Slackware than with Gentoo, myself.
Honestly, though, I think your request for "getting to the command line"
is at odds with your request for "distro for beginners".  Usually those
markets are diametrically opposed.

Anyway, the installfests are there to help you install stuff. If you
want help with Slackware, no doubt someone can help you. If you decide
to kiss up to/one-up the boss, someone will be able to help you with
Gentoo, no doubt.

Besides Slack and Gentoo, Debian is also a fairly educational distro for
the beginner, I think. One of the BSDs, (Net, Open, Free) although not
linux, might also be a good choice to learn to use the command-line.

Good luck!
Mike