[wplug] is there a market for linux in the US?

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:07:43 EDT 2005

On 5/11/05, wplug at perigee.shadysidesupercomputingcenter.com > It is
very possible to get a job developing for Linux/UNIX, contact me
> for more info.
>
> http://www.switch.com/careers.html#6
>
> Software Engineer -- 3 positions available
>
> These positions based in Pittsburgh, PA requires a Bachelor Degree in
> either Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering
> and a minimum of up to 5 years experience in a software development
> environment with the following combination of technologies: Distributed
> Control Systems, Communication Software, TCP/IP, UNIX/Linux, and C/C++.
>
> These positions will be involved in the development and deployment of a
> computerized dispatching system; so, railroad experience would be a
> plus.

i've noticed very few entry level/apprenticeship positions seem to
exist in programming, at least not in the Pittsburgh area! i would
like such a job. all the jobs require 3-5 years experience, usually
bachelors degree (which I don't have yet sadly), expert fluency, very
wide skill set etc.... depressing. it must have been nice say 20 years
ago when not everyone and their grandmother had CS degree or many
years programming experience!

zach
<><
http://yoda.t35.com