[wplug] dsl setup

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Tue May 10 17:18:24 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 15:42 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> Carl Benedict <cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 08:56 -0400, Greg Simkins wrote:
> > > A little cheap Linksys router should be all you need.  It works for me.
> > >
> > > I worked on a Verizon DSL connection for a lady in Lebanon, PA.  I was
> > > surprised that they issued her a nonroutable 192.168.1.0 address.  If you
> > > don't need to serve anything, that should work fine.
> > >
> > > Greg
> >
> > This is because they ship you a router/modem combo which does DHCP for
> > your LAN by default.  You aren't going to connect to the 'net without a
> > real routable IP.  The outside gets its own routable IP via DHCP as
> > well.
>
> Not entirely true.
>
> I have seen some providers who issue you a private IP, then do NAT on their
> routers.  This is getting pretty uncommon, but it does still happen sometimes.

I've never seen that situation myself, but I'll agree that it can be
done.  My point was aimed specifically at the Verizon setup.  They are
currently deploying routers that have DHCP enabled on both sides.  You
do get a routable IP on the outside though.

After re-reading my statement about 'real routable IP's, I'll admit I
did word it poorly.  A more accurate statement would be:  You will not
be able to access the Internet directly with a private address alone.

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs
cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com