[wplug] dsl setup

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Tue May 10 09:35:48 EDT 2005

Hey Scott,

> I have just got DSL from Verizon

Actually, I have it too.  It was pretty cheap and although I was a bit
skeptical, I went ahead.

> For both I've googled far and wide and follwed several howtos with no luck.
>
> So I feel pretty stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

With my Verizon DSL I got a little dsl modem / wireless router.  I
imagine this is the same with you.

If it is, the setup is easy.  All I'm doing is doing a dhcp request.
I've had this working under a Gentoo distro, some live CDs and
currectly debian.  I forgot which of the dhcpclients I used under
gentoo, but it was literally as simple as
  % dhclient eth0 (or whatever interface you're using)

On the more specific side, I'm 98% sure the modem/router is using
pppoe to connect to verizon.

HTH.

Cameron