[wplug] File serving over wired and WiFi links (WAS Discuss: Networking in an insecure world)

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Mon May 9 10:49:55 EDT 2005

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I've thought of using Samba (though that seems kind of backwards) but
> there's evidence that I cannot simultaneously mount multiple user home
> directories from the same machine with samba

In light of some evidence in recent posts that Samba does allow
concurrent mounts of multiple home directories [1, 2, 3], does Samba
look like a good option for sharing home directories between two or more
(Linux) computers?
[1] http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2005-May/025459.html
[2] http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2005-May/025462.html
[3] http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2005-May/025464.html

What about SMB over wireless from a security perspective?  There's
probably no question that AFS is the most secure option, but how
insecure is SMB when flying across the WiFi airwaves?

Regards,
Dane

--
Dane Miller