[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri May 6 17:42:44 EDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Dane Miller wrote:

> Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>>> I'm interested in the evidence you refer to here.  What's the issue with
>>> smbfs mounting multiple home directories?
>>
>> I think I tried it from a Linux client and had problems as well.  I can
>> verify that quickly if you're interested.
>
> Yes please.  I just started testing and haven't (yet) run into problems.

Okay.  I have performed the test.

On linux, I can mount both //ocean/brandon and //ocean/testuser
concurrently using the command smbmount as root but specifying different
credentials files (using -o credentials=/path/to/file )

On Windows 2000 I currently map the R: drive to \\ocean\brandon on login.
If I try to mount, say, the S: drive to \\ocean\testuser and specify
"Connect using a different user name" with testuser's credentials, I get
the following sequence of errors:

"The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user
name and password.  To connect using a different user name and password,
first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share."

and then:

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
occurred:

The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials."

If I disconnect my R: drive, the error persists.  If I logout, re-login
(without mounting [er, 'mapping'] R:), and then try to map \\ocean\harvey,
it still fails.  Apparently, Windows 2000 likes very much to cache
credential information.  Perhaps it would work if I were to logon to the
windows box as a different user.  I don't really know.  But Windows 2000
does not support concurrent logins so the question is not meaningful.

No WinXP machine to try it on.  Sorry.

-Brandon