[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Fri May 6 15:02:27 EDT 2005

John Harrold wrote:
> | We're looking to upgrade our network accounts/home directories model
> | from NIS/NFS to something a) more stable, b) more flexible, and c) more
> | secure.  I'm seriously considering a "Samba-only" solution using winbind
> | and smbfs.  The Samba team puts out great documentation, and my initial
> | tests of winbind are very positive.  In fact, Samba does not seem
> | "backwards" to me at all compared to NIS/NFS.
>
> NIS and NFS works fine for us, though we are a relatively small shop (20-30
> networked devices) and we have decent control over access to our network.

One of my gripes with NFS/NIS is that I can't tell who is logged in and
accessing the server.  This, I think, is because both are stateless
protocols.  I'm using NFSv3 over TCP and can discover _active_ NFS
connections with netstat -t.  But I can't tell if, for example, a user
logged in and then left her machine.  Is there a better way to monitor
NFS/NIS connections to a server?

Another gripe is the $@%* file locking problems with NFS.  The situation
has improved in the 2.4.2x kernels, but the NFS mailing list is still
rife with lock issues (or at least it was when I un-subscribed last
fall).  Have you had to deal with file locking bugs?

Dane

--
Dane Miller
Technology Coordinator