[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Fri May 6 14:39:14 EDT 2005

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> > I'm interested in the evidence you refer to here.  What's the issue with
> > smbfs mounting multiple home directories?
>
> I think I tried it from a Linux client and had problems as well.  I can
> verify that quickly if you're interested.

Yes please.  I just started testing and haven't (yet) run into problems.

Let's see if I've got the scenario right:  a single host machine tries
to mount multiple home directories from a specific Samba server's
[homes] share.  This should be pretty easy to test... using smbmount
(smbfs), I did the following as root:

#smbmount //server/userone /mnt/sambahomes/userone -o username=userone
Password:
#ls -l /mnt/sambahomes/userone
<directory listing snipped>

Then do the same for another user:
#smbmount //server/usertwo /mnt/sambahomes/usertwo -o username=usertwo
Password:
#ls -l /mnt/sambahomes/usertwo
<directory listing snipped>

I'd be interested to see your results.  This thread has piqued (peaked,
peeked ??) my interest and I'm setting up some other tests to help
verify.

Dane

--
Dane Miller