[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Fri May 6 13:39:35 EDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Dane Miller wrote:

> Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>> I've thought of using Samba (though that seems kind of backwards) but
>> there's evidence that I cannot simultaneously mount multiple user home
>> directories from the same machine with samba, which would be desired if
>> multiple users were logged in at the same time (as discussed in the past:
>> multiple X sessions:
>> http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2005-March/024789.html
>> )
>
> I'm interested in the evidence you refer to here.  What's the issue with
> smbfs mounting multiple home directories?

The evidence is purely empirical.  My system has, for all intents and
purposes, two users.  Both home directories are shared in samba's standard
[homes] share.  Certainly on a Windows 2000 client I have verified that if
I try to mount user2's home directory, windows gives the error "Windows
cannot map the drive because the drive or resource is already in use"

I think I tried it from a Linux client and had problems as well.  I can
verify that quickly if you're interested.

There is a trivial workaround (for small systems): to explicitly specify
separate shares for the separate home directories -- I would expect that
to eliminate the problem.

The other possibility is to simply share /home.

-Brandon