[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Fri May 6 13:22:45 EDT 2005

> I still haven't figured out how to give access to my account [on
> andrew.cmu.edu] to people who are not currently members of the
> andrew.cmu.edu cell.  Part of that is due to the fact that...

There's a couple of things that have to happen for this to work correctly.
As an example, let's say you want to give user joe in cell afs.wplug.org
access to something in the cell andrew.cmu.edu.
1)  There has to be a "trust relationship" between the andrew.cmu.edu cell and
the afs.wplug.org cell.  Find an admin of andrew.cmu.edu and ask him.
2)  There needs to be a PTS ID "joe at afs.wplug.org" created in the
andrew.cmu.edu databases.  This can happen 1 of 2 ways:
   a) The easy way (which doesn't always work):  joe, while logged in to the
	afs.wplug.org cell, does "cklog andrew.cmu.edu" or
	"aklog andrew.cmu.edu"  If you're lucky, this will create the PTS ID
	automatically.
   b) The hard way: find someone with AFS admin priveledges for andrew.cmu.edu
	and ask them to manually create the PTS entry joe at afs.wplug.org
  To see if this worked, do "pts examine joe at afs.wplug.org" when you are logged
  in to the andrew.cmu.edu cell.
3)  Use "fs sa" to give "joe at afs.wplug.org" access to the relevant files.

Don't bother going on to the next step until you are sure the previous step
completed successfully.