[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri May 6 09:43:31 EDT 2005

Sometime in May Dane Miller assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
| > I've thought of using Samba (though that seems kind of backwards) but
| > there's evidence that I cannot simultaneously mount multiple user home
| > directories from the same machine with samba, which would be desired if
| > multiple users were logged in at the same time (as discussed in the past:
| > multiple X sessions:
| > http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2005-March/024789.html
| > )
|
| I'm interested in the evidence you refer to here.  What's the issue with
| smbfs mounting multiple home directories?

I'd be interested in this evidence as well. While we had a problem with
older versions of windows, we regularly mount multiple users home
directories on the same machines running: windows xp pro, windows
2003 server and os X using the encrypted authentication. I have seen
nothing to indicate that we couldn't do this on Linux. Though, I currently
have no reason to do this.

| > At this point I'm looking for ideas -- is NFSv4 stable? secure?  Should I
| > just use samba, home directory limitations and all? (I could find a
| > workaround, like sharing /home as a separate share from [homes] )
|
| We're looking to upgrade our network accounts/home directories model
| from NIS/NFS to something a) more stable, b) more flexible, and c) more
| secure.  I'm seriously considering a "Samba-only" solution using winbind
| and smbfs.  The Samba team puts out great documentation, and my initial
| tests of winbind are very positive.  In fact, Samba does not seem
| "backwards" to me at all compared to NIS/NFS.

NIS and NFS works fine for us, though we are a relatively small shop (20-30
networked devices) and we have decent control over access to our network.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB