[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Fri May 6 09:23:19 EDT 2005

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I've thought of using Samba (though that seems kind of backwards) but
> there's evidence that I cannot simultaneously mount multiple user home
> directories from the same machine with samba, which would be desired if
> multiple users were logged in at the same time (as discussed in the past:
> multiple X sessions:
> http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2005-March/024789.html
> )

I'm interested in the evidence you refer to here.  What's the issue with
smbfs mounting multiple home directories?

> At this point I'm looking for ideas -- is NFSv4 stable? secure?  Should I
> just use samba, home directory limitations and all? (I could find a
> workaround, like sharing /home as a separate share from [homes] )

We're looking to upgrade our network accounts/home directories model
from NIS/NFS to something a) more stable, b) more flexible, and c) more
secure.  I'm seriously considering a "Samba-only" solution using winbind
and smbfs.  The Samba team puts out great documentation, and my initial
tests of winbind are very positive.  In fact, Samba does not seem
"backwards" to me at all compared to NIS/NFS.

Dane

--
Dane Miller
Technology Coordinator