[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri May 6 03:02:42 EDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I still haven't figured out how to give access to my account [on
> andrew.cmu.edu] to people who are not currently members of the andrew.cmu.edu
> cell.  Part of that is due to the fact that...

That's because it's not really possible except via the system:anyuser
group.
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/UserGuide/auusg007.htm#HDRWQ51
fs setacl <path> system:anyuser read

When I was an undergrad there was a cklog or aklog command that allowed
you to get a cross-realm token which did something to the remote cell to
give you the equivalent of a userid. But that was 10 years ago.

> I've also been unable to find manual pages for either the fs or pts commands
> [which are the standard client-side ways for interacting with your share].
> Aside from their very terse contextual help (entering "fs help sa", for
> example) and searching the web for guides written by various educational
> institutions to instruct their users, I can't find any documentation.  'man
> fs' produces irrelevant info and 'man pts' gives nothing.

I've noticed that too, but it never really bothered me. I usually refer to
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/UserGuide/auusg000.htm or one of the
other documents there if I need help. The fs help option is usually all I
need.

-james