[wplug] Discuss: Networking in an insecure world

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Thu May 5 22:20:05 EDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Zachary Uram wrote:

> Can anyone set up their own cell and does it give you access to the
> other cells (/afs/andrew.cmu.edu, /afs/athena.mit.edu etc..)?

Yes to both, with some provisos. You can setup your own cell and you're
encouraged to share the names of your db servers for inclusion in the
shared list available for download and bundled in the distributions.
You can see /afs/andrew.cmu.edu, but if you don't have a token (like an
account) in that cell, you won't be able to see everything. The AFS
permission model is more tuneable and there is an anonymous group called
system:anyser.

> Also can
> it be setup on laptop which has intermittent dialup net access (once
> or twice a day) ?

For a server? No. For a client? Yes. However, AFS was originally written
before the afs of laptops.

> What do I need to get started with AFS? Is there a good setup guide?

I used these documents:
http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/AdminGuide/auagd002.htm#ToC

But be warned that there a steaper learning curve compared to NFS or
samba.

-james