[wplug] How to Partition a 120 GB Hard Drive

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Mon May 2 21:49:23 EDT 2005

Dear WPLUG,

I have recently ordered a 120 GB hard drive, it will be the first time I
have ever had a drive bigger then 10GB. (I can't wait :-) ) I am not
used to having this much space to work with, so I thought I would ask
you all -- "How would you partition it up?"

It is going into a desktop system, with 3 active users, and 2
additional, very occasionally used accounts.  This is my current
thoughts on it:

1) The current (5gb) drive will become /home
2) A large portion of the new drive will be for the family music
   collection. (which will be readable by all, but writable by me)
3) A 5+ gb partition on the new drive to do a mirror backup of /home and
   a few other important files.

So my questions I guess would be --
1) How much would you dedicate for / ?
   (I am currently just getting by with the 5GB mentioned above)
2) How much would you use for the OGGs ?
   (or rephrase - 10CDs will take up approx ___ amount of space)
3) Is there a point where a partition is just "too big" and is just a
   waste?
4) How would you break it up ?

I know a lot of this is individual, based on each persons setup, but I
am just looking for some insight, so that I can make some kind of
educated guess on what to do with it.