[wplug] Linux behavior/implementation question

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 31 17:46:59 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:22:25 -0500
Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 04:56:51PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > My patch for FreeBSD (and intended patch for Sun) would make the
> > -r flag a synonym for -R.  This removes the code for -r, leaving
> > the option in tact.
> >
> > Since this is an implementation defined option, I'm guessing that
> > Linux works the same way and want people to prove this.
>
> cp (from GNU coreutils 5.2.1) already treats -r and -R as synonyms.

Ok, so real Unix differentiates.  Linux does the right thing
here, good.

My only worry was that the user would either:

1: Expect everthing, including special files to be copied when
   in fact they would not.

2: The system would hang when it encountered a special file with
   no indication to the user as to why.

Thank you very much!

--
Tom Rhodes