[wplug] fur elise?

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 31 15:10:08 EST 2005

ok here's a little weirdness: I was woken up yesterday morning to the
sound of "fur Elise" by Beethoven. It appeared to be coming from one of
my computers but I'm not sure because I was feeling rather wonky. I
forgot about it.
This morning it happened again and I'm getting irked. On googling I
discovered that this is sometimes done by various PC BIOSes upon
detection of the voltage from the PS drifting out of tolerance or
possibly fan problems. But supposedly it only happens on boot and
clearly I wasn't booting any of my machines at the time. The machines
that are there a a sun ultra5 and a compaq presario of about 2002
vintage I think.

Has anyone seen this before and can shed some light?

--
Duncan Hutty