[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

Richard Farina r.farina at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 29 16:12:46 EST 2005

At 03:55 PM 3/29/2005, you wrote:
> > So if I am in my car outside your house with my hand held scanner, and I
> > find your cordless phone's freq, can I listen all I want.  Hay I have
> > not entered into your house, YOU are broadcasting outside your walls, so
>
>         Ah-HA! A good question!
>
>         This violates federal laws, because the transmissions are not
>intended for you.
>
>         Why this is different from wardriving, is that the beacons sent
>out from the AP are destined for ALL clients that can hear them -- the APs
>advertise their existance, as part of the protocol.
>
>         Rich, can you tell us more about the beacons, what's in 'em, and
>how they work?

I have already stated my feelings about this topic in the paper and on this
list.  At the request of Drew, however, I will explain what a beacon is so
that those not familiar with 802.11b/g may continue their arguments in a
slightly more educated manner.

As Drew said, a beaconing access point is best described as a loudspeaker
on top of your house, shouting in all directions, "I'm an access point!!!"
This is what a beacon does.  If you card is in monitor mode, it will see
this shout, identify the contends, and potentially map the location.  If
you have Windows XP (and therefore cannot really use monitor mode)[1], then
Netstumbler will respond to the access point as all wireless cards do by
yelling, "I'm a wireless card!!!"  At this point an association is made
between the card and the access point, however, netstumbler (unless
configured otherwise) will stop the conversation there.  It is worthwhile
to note that Windows XP by default does the same thing as netstumbler[2],
except it continues and asks for an IP.

[1] There are ways to get into monitor mode in windows, but they don't work
too hot yet.
[2] Netstumbler logs all the happening events and Windows does not, but we
are talking about the access to the networks...

-Rick Farina