[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

beer beer at cmu.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:05:01 EST 2005

There seems to be a a great many of you that believe wardriving isnt an illicit activity.  This brings me to 2 questions:

1.  Where are you getting your definition/understanding of the word?

2.  For what purpose does one wardrive if not to find networks that are unsecured?

According to reference.com:

wardriving - <security> (From wardialer in the "carrier scanner" sense of
that word) To drive around with a laptop with a wireless
card, and an antenna, looking for accessible wireless
networks.

This to me implies more than identifying networks and mapping them.  'Accessible' says to me, that you are taking the extra step to see if they are unsecured.