[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Mar 29 15:55:39 EST 2005

> So if I am in my car outside your house with my hand held scanner, and I
> find your cordless phone's freq, can I listen all I want.  Hay I have
> not entered into your house, YOU are broadcasting outside your walls, so

	Ah-HA! A good question!

	This violates federal laws, because the transmissions are not
intended for you.

	Why this is different from wardriving, is that the beacons sent
out from the AP are destined for ALL clients that can hear them -- the APs
advertise their existance, as part of the protocol.

	Rich, can you tell us more about the beacons, what's in 'em, and
how they work?

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi