[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

Brent M. Rust rust at lucasware.com
Tue Mar 29 10:23:02 EST 2005

Municipal Wireless fiasco
http://www.netstumbler.com/2005/02/02/municipal_wi_fi_networks_forgeddab
out_it/
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/00000029.htm
http://newmillenniumresearch.org/news/mc020305.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04329/416768.stm
http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004497.html
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3468381
http://www.thenmrc.org/archive/wifireport2305.pdf	(I didn't read
this text, but it may be worth reading)

~B

-----Original Message-----
From: wplug-bounces+rust=lucasware.com at wplug.org
[mailto:wplug-bounces+rust=lucasware.com at wplug.org] On Behalf Of Drew
from Zhrodague
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 5:16 PM
To: General user list
Subject: Re: [wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

> My girlfriend recently moved to Philadelphia and got dsl from verizon.

> The dsl modem they sent her had wireless access bulit in. By default
> the the wap was running and encryption was disabled. So wouldn't it be

> fair to assume that it's ok to share your access wirelessly given
that:

>  a) the hardware supplied by verizon supports it
>  b) the default configuration after installation allows any monkey
>     with a wireless card to access it?

	Probably, but only until The Antichrist (Verizon) decides that
it's not in their best interests, or persues legal action against people
performing unintended uses (which is inevitable).

	Remember that municipal wireless networks (with a fee attached)
are now ILLEGAL in Pennsylvania, thanks to their lobbying efforts. This
looks like a means to advertise that they are the "best" Wi-Fi provider.

	Oh, and I hate them alot, for these and a large list of other
reasons -- can you tell?

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi