[wplug] Live CD

Edward Walter ewalter at walterama.com
Mon Mar 28 19:36:12 EST 2005

I've done a number of these for a project I'm working on.  There are a
couple of things to watch out for:

1) The kernel in the isolinux's miniroot must match the custom built
kernel for your distribution.
2) The modules inside the miniroot must also match your custom
distribution's modules.
3) You'll need to rebuild cloop.o to match your new kernel version...
and that also needs included in the miniroot file.
4) You'll want to remove anything that you consider cruft... it speeds
up the rate at which the compressed filesystem is built and reduces the
chances that your image will be to big to fit on a CD.  (typically, for
a full 700 MB CD, it takes me approx 30 minutes to build the compressed
filesystem)
5) You'll want to have enough memory to build the compressed  filesystem
image without having to swap... the memory required depends on how big
your image is.  Otherwise, things get really slow  (worse than the 30
minutes described above).

Those were the big gotchas I ran into.  Knoppix statically links most of
the mainstream SCSI modules into the kernel.  I'm not sure what else
they link in like that.  Your best bet is to work off the sources from
kernel.org and the kernel config from your Knoppix CD (in /boot).  I've
seen some weirdness trying to patch against the Debian kernel sources.

Note: It's worth investing in some CDRWs for this.  The first couple
times you build these, the likelihood of producing a coaster is pretty high.

Good luck!

-Edward Walter