[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Mar 28 16:25:40 EST 2005

Sometime in March Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Yes.  That's why I've been recommending that people don't go around,
| willy-nilly playing with folk's networks like this.
|
| Additionally, if you _do_ get permission, and then the ISP claims it's
| against their TOS, you could be screwed.  If you have the permission in
| writing, it would be easier for your lawyer to protect you and put all
| the blame on the person you made the contract with (I'm not a lawyer,
| so no guarantees on that) ... but at least they couldn't accuse you of
| an actual computer crime ... it would just be a violation of their TOS,
| which (to my knowledge) isn't a crime, just grounds for service
| termination.

Also, if you are just checking to make sure someone's wireless network is
secure, the portion of the network you'll be testing is probably going to
be private. As long as you don't use their internet connection, shouldn't
this have nothing to do with the isp's terms of service?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB