[wplug] wireless vs non?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 28 15:53:52 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:20:25 -0500
Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there something fundamental I'm missing in this discussion? There
> seems to be an implication that wireless RF networks are somehow
> fundamentally more insecure than say X.25, fiber optic or copper wire
> networks. Maybe I'm just dense :)

Pros and cons between physical and wireless access exist, of
course; however, a network is only as secure as the admin is
smart.  You can make almost any wireless network more secure
than a wired network and vice-versa.  Personally, I see no
pro and con other than the freedom of wireless.

I expect to hear some chit chat about MAC cloning, the ignorance
(insecurity) of DHCP, WEP, etc.  Whatever.[1]

[1]: I'm lacking time for a complete breakdown but could probably
     write something up later.

--
Tom Rhodes
(Don't forget: with hat FreeBSD Security Team)