[wplug] On the subject of wardriving...

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Mar 28 12:27:12 EST 2005

"Petrucci, Joseph" <Joseph.Petrucci at ddiworld.com> wrote:

> I am a little confused on wardriving. I was jumped on a few months ago by
> this list because I (with the companies permission) broke into there
> networks to find weeknesses. Now the same list considers it reactionary
> that people are concerned if someone rides around in his little
> "geek squad" VW and find clients by breaking into there networks and
> showing them what he can do before he asks for money to fix it. Where
> is the guy that called me an extortioninst why isn't he speaking up
> about this practice?

1) You don't honestly believe that you can address this list as a single
   entity that has one big opinion?  It's made up of many individuals,
   who frequently disagree.
2) I, personally, am not criticising the practice of "find and report
   problems", as long as it doesn't come down to _actual_ extortion.
   However, I recommend against that practice because it's too easily
   the beginning of a lawsuit.  If you don't like it, jump down the
   throats of lawyers and lawmakers ... not the members of this list.
3) If you really want to know who called you an extortionist, check
   the list archives.  If I remember correctly, nobody called you an
   extortionist, but people warned you to be careful that you didn't
   get labeled that by the people you contacted.  I, specifically,
   seem to remember warning you to ensure you got the agreement in
   writing so you could protect yourself if the company decided to
   use you as a scapegoat.
4) We're all confused on wardriving.  It's a very controversial subject.
   That's why we're discussing it.
5) I spoke with Jon Nelson of the PA computer crimes unit after his
   presentation at CPLUG on March 5.  He showed me a section in the PA
   laws that specifically states that it is legal to do anything that
   the owner of the system permits you to do.  Thus, you can break in
   to their system, or wardrive their networks, or whatever ... so long
   as they have given you permission to do so.  I (again) recommend that
   you get this in writing, so you won't take the fall if there is
   any miscommunication.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies