[wplug] [wplug-announce] The Open Pitt, Issue 10

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Mar 26 13:35:25 EST 2005

Drew from Zhrodague <drew at zhrodague.net> wrote:
> 	Hi, guys. Can I have this trooper's email address? I'd like to
> clear up a few things:

You can find it in his presentation, available at:
<http://cplug.net/conference/presentations/jon_nelson_computer_crime.pdf>
Be nice - I know some in here have a problem with authority figures,
but this guy really seems to "get it."

> 	Wardriving is not accessing computer networks -- but simply
> discovering them. Since the AP's beacons advertise their existance to
> everything in reach, there is no interception, or even access involved in
> wardriving.

Please note that Logan's article is his reading and interpretation of
the law and of Trooper Nelson's presentation.  Nelson himself was
very reluctant to give out legal advice, for obvious reasons.

I believe that the example Logan gave about using wireless networks
you know you're not authorized to use would be covered under Sec.
7611.  Other activities may or may not be, depending on how courts
choose to interpret elements of intent, knowledge, access, etc.

One point that came up repeatedly was that PA's computer crime law
has not been extensively tested in court.  If you've got some
knowledge in the area, maybe I could persuade you to write an
article on the subject for next month's newsletter?