[wplug] Yet Another Windows on Linux Question

ted at vagrant.berzerker.net ted at vagrant.berzerker.net
Fri Mar 25 14:42:05 EST 2005

Mike,

It's probably possible to run IE in a regular instance of Wine (which can
be emerged from Gentoo portage), but it may require the hunting the web
for some Windows dll files.  I would recomend using Crossover office
instead.  Crossover is a packaged version of Wine which includes Windows
libraries that allow it to be easier.  Windows install wizards run well in
it, and it includes a menu that allows you to click to install many
popular Windows program, including IE (and it's plugins), MS Office,
Photoshop, etc., that have been well tested.

VMware allows for a complete installation of Windows under Linux, but
purchasing a VMware license just to run IE would be overkill.  Crossover
Office is relatively inexpensive, and Vmware simply isn't.

Just my two sense,

Ted