[wplug] Yet Another Windows on Linux Question

Michael A. Smith michael at smith-li.com
Fri Mar 25 09:20:26 EST 2005

Hi, all,

I know running Windows software on Linux is possible, but there are so
many options that it's hard to determine the best way to do it. I run
Gentoo on my home desktop.

I would like to find a way to run I.E. 5.5 *and* 6 on my Linux box so I
can test the websites I build. Here are some of the things I'm wondering:

 - Is it possible to do it with just Wine? I've tried some things posted
on the web with I.E. 6, but it always crashes before I can get it to
load a page.
 - Would something like Crossover help? Obviously, free software is
better, but if I have to spend money, I'd rather spend it on a company
that supports OSS.
 - Is it possible to do it in such a way that security flaws in I.E.
don't endanger my whole box?

And last and least, a pipe dream: Would it be possible to run Safari on
an x86 linux box? Has any decent emulator been written?

Thanks,
Mike