broadcast flag challenge (was Re: [wplug] MythTV)

eli eli.heady at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:27:25 EST 2005

Last month, a fed circuit court judge said that the FCC doesn't have
authority to regulate devices that receive the signals that it does have
authority to regulate.

I'd imagine this isn't on eff.org because they are all busy trying to
establish that they are being harmed in a way "that distinguishes [them]
from the public at large," giving them the grounds to sue the FCC (Judge
Sentelle, C|Net). Without such harm, they have no standing to sue.
Interesting that the harm done to "the public at large" by the FCC isn't
enough grounds to sue, IMHO.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/23/broadcast_flag_in_trouble/
http://news.com.com/Court+questions+FCCs+broadcast+flag+rules/2100-1030_3-5585533.html

best quote:
"You [the FCC] are out there in the whole world, regulating. Are washing
machines next?" -Judge Harry Edwards

-eli