[wplug] MythTV

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 24 11:22:53 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 10:40 -0500, Shane Liesegang wrote:
> Does anyone know of any cards that can handle HD coming through cable or
> satellite? The MythTV site says that no such consumer-level cards exist,
> but it's been fairly out of date in the past...
>
> What advantages do you get with a PCHDTV card as opposed to, say, the
> ATI HDTV Wonder card?
>
> 	- SJML

HDTV over cable is encoded via QAM (as opposed to ATSC).  The Air2PC
card supports QAM, but details have been sketchy about people using it,
the company behind the Air2pc and Air2lan doesn't seem to be too
responsive.  PCHDTV 2000 does not support QAM because it lacks the
microcode for it.  The PCHDTV 3000 does have some preliminary QAM
support when compiled using the DVB driver backend.  Supposedly the
default drivers have QAM support too (new feature).

It's more likely that the Myth page is out of date.  These are new
developments in the last few months.  For a good source of pchdtv info
see: http://pchdtv.freedesktop.org/wiki/

If you're looking to buy an Air2PC card, check out http://mythic.tv/

Confused yet?  Consider this an ad for my GUM talk in June.  I'll try to
explain it all then.

--Patrick