[wplug] MythTV

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 24 10:36:56 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 10:24 -0500, Darin Ingimarson wrote:
> They are $169.98 ea with $9.98 ea off on orders of 5 cards or more.
> Note that this card does NOT do any encoding, hence you need a beefier
> machine for this.
>
> I've been looking at building at PVR for about a year now. My wife keeps
> threatening to
> go out and (gasp!) buy one!

Your correct in saying that the card doesn't do any encoding.  That's
because HDTV doesn't need to do any encoding.  The card does a bit of
decoding to get the stream (ATSC is well support and QAM is almost
there).  HDTV is transmitted natively as MPEG-2 streams, so encoding is
not necessary.  You could still watch it on a non-beefy machine by doing
some transcoding to a smaller file size.

The correct statement is that you need a beefier machine for playback.
Recording you just need to be able to save to the disk.

--Patrick