[wplug] [ot] network question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:27:34 EST 2005

Ok this is off topic. We have two computers here running windows (one 2003
server and ther other xp pro). The xp pro machine has zone alarm installed
and it keeps saying that the gateway (192.168.0.1), which is a linksys
wireless router, is trying to access high ports with NetBIOS traffic. The
ports in the  messages increment in three. e.g.

NetBIOS access from 192.168.0.1 port 1400
NetBIOS access from 192.168.0.1 port 1403
NetBIOS access from 192.168.0.1 port 1406
etc.

I get the messages when the 2003 server is off.

I'm assuming that there is something hitting our router thing and it's
broadcasting to all of the computers on the network.  Is this correct?
Can anyone offer any suggestions on what may be causing this?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key F65A739E