[wplug] nis replacement

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:07:57 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:30:44 -0500, John Harrold <jmh17 at pitt.edu> wrote:
> Someone recently posted a question about nis and a couple people replied
> with negative thouhts on nis. So, I was wondering what people would suggest
> as a replacement to distribute other files as well as password files to
> clients?

My argument against NIS has always been that it is an awful
authentication service.  It really provides no authentication
mechanism beyond the ability to join the domain.  The password
authentication is done by downloading the passwd map and using the
crypted password entries in that file.

If you are using NIS to distribute less secure files, such as
automount maps, then I don't think it is quite as bad, although it
doesn't scale well (from personal experience.)

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com