[wplug] nis replacement

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Mar 22 14:40:13 EST 2005

Sometime in March Michael P. O Connor assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| for passwords, why not, not distrubute the password files, and just have
| a central login server, kerbros comes to mind.  and for shard files, I
| hear alot of talk about XFS could that work for you?

I'm looking for a more generic solution. Right now, I can modify something
on the server and the effects are more or less immediate. I don't have to
run a script that I wrote, I simply rebuild the nis maps, restart ypserv,
and changes that I made to /etc/hosts,  /etc/auto.*, etc on the server are
relevant to all of our computers. I'm not sure how having files on a
different file system (XFS) is going to make the available to other
computers on the network.

Right now NIS works fine, but if there is something better I'm all ears.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key F65A739E