[wplug] The Ultimate Desktop II

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Mar 21 17:33:52 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Robert E. Coutch wrote:

> This feature is ALREADY in Linux if you are using KDE desktop and KDM as your
> X session manager.
>
> Just click on switch user on the KDE main menu to start a new session while
> the old session is left in it's current state.
>
> If a session (or sessions) is already running, KDM will ask if you want an
> already running session (and show the user) or if you want to create a new
> session.
>
> Is that not what you were looking for?

Yeah, it sounds like it.  I don't use KDE, though I predict that computer
user #2 would rather like KDE (I'm also going to suggest she try out
XFCE).

Do you know the backend of how KDE does this?  From the discussion, it
sounds like it probably uses virtual terminals with a nice polish.

It looks like somewhere amongst gdmflexiserver and X virtual terminal
configs I will be able to fix this problem but good.

Thanks everyone.

-Brandon