[wplug] The Ultimate Desktop I

Jonathan Billings jsbillings at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:54:14 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:35:35 -0500 (EST), James O'Kane
<jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > Gnome likes to store a socket file in
> > ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/ior that might cause you problems.
>
> Just venting as this isn't directly related to the original question(s).
>
> That file causes grief when mixed with AFS. It's fine the majority of the
> time, but I suspect when the same user logs into two different machines at
> the same time AFS gets confused. That file becomes un-unlink-able, and the
> volume needs to be salvaged.
>
> But, thinking more about it, I thought in general AFS didn't allowed
> sockets to be created.
>
> -james

I know this problem well.  Supposedly it tickles a bug in AFS, and
I've shared the problem with several of the developers, and I think
they've looked into it.  I wish there was a @hostname magic variable
for AFS that referred to the current hostname, so I could just make
~/.gconf -> ~/@hostname/.gconf.

--
  Jonathan Billings
jsbillings at gmail.com