[wplug] The Ultimate Desktop I

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:44:04 EST 2005

> > I was just going to copy the relevant entries from the server's
> > /etc/passwd file onto the desktop.  Alternately, I suppose I could make
> > the server an NIS server as well?  I'm not exactly sure how that works.
>
> It'd probably be easier to just copy the passwd entries.  I never
> reccomend anyone use NIS anymore.  In your situation, it's simpler to
> just manually copy the passwd entries.  You'll have to set a local
> password on the workstation too.

I concur (about dropping NIS).  It has some ... issues.  ;)

Anyhow, an idea for a small setup would be to have you 'server' be the
authoritative
holder of /etc/passwd just do a sync via ssh / rsync / whatever with a
cron job.  This will force lines to be the same.  Although I wouldn't
recommend this for a larger setup, I do know it exists (but not by my
choice!!), and it works fine (unless you try to only change your
password on the 'client' and it gets overwritten on the next sync.

Cameron