[wplug] The Ultimate Desktop II

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 08:33:28 EST 2005

> In Ubuntu there's a program labeled "New Login" in Applications>System
> Tools of the main menu.  the actual program that is run is
> "gdmflexiserver".  Switching between users is done with CTRL+ALT+F7 or
> CTRL+ALT+F8 etc.

thanks, Eddie - this was a handy tip.  It seems to be installed all
over the place (FCx, debian testing, etc..) as part of the standard
gdm package.

Apparently, the gdmflexiserver is a program that works through the gdm
server (if you run that for logins).  You can run it as a
non-privileged user, and another user can login without an issue.  If
it's already running when invoked, it pops up a chooser screen that
allows a new session or current list.

Very handy.  It can be enabled/disabled in gdm.conf, and there is even
a setting to reap non-used invocations after a specified time.

Now, I just need to remember how to configure X itself to bind a key
to it's usage (so a locked screen can be nicely dodged).

Cameron