[wplug] Debian advice

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:02:00 EST 2005

So, my home machine is back to a debian box.  (thanks to the installfest)

Previously, it was a gentoo machine (which I liked, and may resurrect
- if the XFS gods are nice to my HD).  I really liked how things like
cursors (blue crystal or some such), themes and acroread were
available via emerge.

I'm still not yet a friend of aptitude, but apt-get/apt-cache is
pleasant.  Any advice on good sources for handling things like
acroread (I know, blasphemy) with these tools?  I found some sources
for mplayer.  Should I be concerned with such security issues? (I'm
guessing there isn't a way to configure apt-get to only get certain
packages from specific sources).

My experience with debian (at least the last few years) has been
almost exclusively as servers where I don't care about this kind of
cruft.

This is just a brain dump of some questions I have.  Any comments and
advice would be most appreciated.

Cameron

P.S.  Chris: how are those old pentium boxes working out?