[wplug] Be afraid ... interesting research on botnets

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 15 15:39:09 EST 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:47, Greg Simkins wrote:
> When is somebody (I guess some Govt agency) going to actually DO
> something about these attacks?

Please remember that the Internet is a lot bigger than, and hence cannot
be easily regulated by the US government.

The solution does not seem to be going after the people who take
advantage of known vulnerabilities. Vendors and users should be more
responsible and accountable, as Patrick points out.

> It seems like that these huge zombie
> networks could be broken up with a bit of concerted effort.

What makes you say that? The most simple solution seems to be educating
the users, and *that's* not simple.

As far as government intervention, there are a lot of issues involved in
such phenomena - christening something "bad" and trying to exterminate
it is not quite that simple (and for good reason, too).

-A