PC Club (WAS: Re: [wplug] local hardware source)

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Sun Mar 13 00:22:44 EST 2005

Just to follow-up with today's Install-Fest --

I do hope everyone enjoyed the pizza and pastries. I apologize that I
had to depart prematurely. I look forward to helping sponsor events in
the future.

Regarding PC Club --

As an open-source / free source advocate myself, I understand the
community's sensitivity and concerns with the appearance of corporate
involvement; so I hope that you won't mind if I take this opportunity to
make a few shameless plugs about our organization in exchange for this
morning's gifts. I feel it's important to shed some light, because prior
to the last 6 months (before our opening), Pittsburgh computer
enthusiasts and professionals had very few options for obtaining
hardware locally, including:

     1. Wait around for the Monroeville Computer Fair and take your
        chances.
     2. Order from on online retailer (New Egg, Tiger Direct, etc.) and
        pay shipping.
     3. Patronize a “local” small businesses and settle for whatever
        they happen to have in stock (I've worked at a few).
     4. Visit any number of national resellers stocking PC Component
        (Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA) and pay a huge retail
        mark-up.

Or as of October 2004, visit PC Club in Pittsburgh –
http://www.pcclub.com/

PC Club is located in the Robinson Town Center area; on the North
Fayette Township side of Route 60 (aka, 22/30, aka 279 south – map in
the flyer below). We are located in “The Point” shopping center, near
Walmart, Barnes & Noble (and coming soon Old Navy and Hollowood Music).
Despite what one might assume by visiting our web site, we are an
Open-Source / Free Software organization. Also don't be misled by the
name, there is no membership required.

We feature:

      * Components, Repairs, Upgrades, Diagnostics, Custom Builds,
        On-Site service
      * A Large variety of quality brands from respectable vendors
      * Competitive pricing due to our nation-wide our supply chain &
        distribution channels
      * Ready-to-Go systems w/o Operating Systems
      * Reseller discounts for Consultants and VARs
      * 7 Days/Week Availability
      * A Monroeville Computer Fair Presence
      * LAN Parties
      * Cisco(r) Partner Reseller

Although we are a national company with 60 locations, we very physically
far removed from our HQ, and our store has a “down to earth” or “small
business” feel to it. I encourage everyone to visit and see what you've
been missing.

!!! NOTE !!!: In order to continue to grow these relationships with the
community, the PC Club needs to know that it's resources are being well
allocated, so please be sure to mention that you heard about the store
through WPLUG to your sales person.  You'll also get a spiffy free
T-Shirt or Mousepad while supplies last! >:}

Flyer w/ map:
http://digitalfreaks.org/~jstonge/PCCPAPT_Final.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone,

Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org>