[wplug] Duping old alien floppies

Tom Fetherston tfetherston at ncdcorp.com
Fri Mar 11 14:48:49 EST 2005

The dd suggestion was a good one, though I think you need to discover
the floppies geometry first.  fdutils seems to have ways to address that.

One further wrinkle is that some of the 5.25 stuff I'd like to dupe is
on floppies that use a extra hole to act as a hard index to start
sectoring from.  While you might be able to image these disks off a
regular floppy drive, I won't be able to create a usable copy without
such a drive.

I think some apple drives and C64's where of this type, would a more
modern FDC work with these?  These used FM encoding, not MFM.

Anyone played around with/ have insight into this?

Tom