[wplug] Chinese install?

Duncan Hutty dhutty+wplug at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 9 08:23:01 EST 2005

On 03/08/2005 11:53 PM, Zachary Uram wrote:
> I'm want to install Linux for my friend who is curious about it
> however his English is rather
> limited. I checked in both Ubuntu and Knoppix and could not find any
> Chinese language options though I did see other languages in there.
> Can someone tell me how to get Chinese working (web fonts, system
> fonts, console, emacs, etc...) ?

suse, fedora, gentoo, debian, mandrake and freebsd all have chinese
support. If you have difficulties getting it going, I would suggest
searching language specific mailing lists/channels and
internationalisation (i18n) efforts.

If you have specific problems that you can't get resolved elsewhere,
post them here and we'll attempt to assist.

Don't forget about installfests. If you need help along the lines of "I
need help setting up $distro and $applications with zh support", it's
quite likely that asking someone at an installfest will have good
results. Especially if you bring said Chinese speaker to translate:)

--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator, ECE

Please use informative subject lines