[wplug] Reinstalling windows on a dual boot

Dileep Vangasseri dil5516 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 12:46:03 EST 2005

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I have solved that problem. I was trying to boot the linux from my fedora core 3 rescue CD and was trying to get the boot loader back. But even after chroot /mnt/sysimage and grub-install /dev/hda, I was getting an error message as /dev/hda is not a valid block. I had reformatted the windows and had installed windows on hda1 (previously it was on hda2). However my /etc/fstab was with the previous configuration. I do not know if that was the problem. Anyway, I corrected my fstab and then performed the above operations once again and it worked. I really do not know if my fstab was creating some problems.

Thank you for your time,

Regards,
Dileep

ted at vagrant.berzerker.net wrote:

Dileep,

You may have solved the bootloader plroblem by now, but in case you
didn't, here is how I'd do it:

boot from your disc1 or rescue cd, tell it to find your installation
chroot /mnt/sysimage /bin/bash
grub

at the grub> prompt:
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit

That should set grub back up on the mbr for you, so you can reboot and the
grub menu should be back.

Ted