[wplug] about basic programming

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 3 17:50:40 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 14:35 -0800, Steve Bierly wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to learn everything I can about programming and
> many types of linux. I am just beginning with linux
> and have knoppix. Does anyone know where I can get
> info of everything you can do on knoppix? And does
> anyone know where I can get a book or info about
> beginning to program? I was also told that I should
> only focus on shell,perl,and HTML. So these are the
> main things I would like to concentrate on. Again any
> info please contact me.
> Thank you,
> Steve

Steve,

The great thing about programming is that most basic concepts easily
transfer from one operating system to another and many concepts go from
one programming language to another.

The easiest place to start is with a scripting language like Perl or
Python.  These abstract a lot of the difficulties and let you get going
right away.  Plus, most perl or python programs will run on any platform
that has the interpreter installed.  For a good place to start, I
recommend Mark Pilgrim's most excellent DiveIntoPython , available
online at http://diveintopython.org/

--Patrick