[wplug] Hibernating Fedora Core 3

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Mar 1 12:17:14 EST 2005

"Chris Winters" <chris at cwinters.com> wrote:

> Tim Lesher said:
> > The people who do the Linux implementation have taken a harder line:
> > they refuse to support anything that isn't 100% correct, which leaves
> > a lot of end users frustrated.
> >
> > On the other hand, the folks who do the FreeBSD implementation have
> > been more pragmatic about the issue, and they seem to be working
> > closely with the Intel ACPI folks; they've added some compatibility
> > hacks to work around the most common bugs, so even some moderately
> > broken machines (like my laptop) work, for the most part.
>
> What I know about FreeBSD could fill a thimble (well, maybe two) but what
> you describe seems to be a reveral of the normal behavior of the two
> operating systems, doesn't it? Not that it's either good or bad, just
> curious.

Not really.  This isn't OpenBSD we're talking about.  FreeBSD has always
been about high performance on Intel-based hardware, and you could argue
that working ACPI is a performance issue (my laptop battery performance
is great under FreeBSD ...)  And reliability (unfortunately) has always
required workarounds for buggy hardware.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies